Your home should be a safe place for you and your family to live. But your electrical system can have hidden dangers you have never thought about. One of the things that you need to be cautious about is the dangers of electrical overloading.
What is Electrical Overloading?
House fires are often caused by electrical issues. And most of these issues can be prevented. One of the main causes of fires is electrical overloading. So, what is electrical overloading?
Every circuit in your home was designed to carry and distribute a certain load. The load will depend on the circuit breakers installed. Under normal circumstances, most home circuits have a 15-20 amp capacity. And at least a 100-amp capacity for the whole house.
If you exceed the maximum capacity on a circuit, this will lead to an overload. An overload can blow a fuse or cause a fire. Each and everything you plug into the circuit will draw a current.
If there are too many things plugged in at one time, it can cause an overload.
To prevent electrical overload:
- Do not plug a bunch of devices or appliances in on one circuit.
- Unplug everything when it is not in use.
- Have GFCI outlets installed – Learn about GFCI outlets here.
- Use surge protectors.
- Upgrade your system if needed.
Signs of Electrical Overloading
Below is more information about electrical overloading and the consequences:
Tripped Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers and fuses are electrical safety devices that are designed to prevent damage from overloads and short circuits. If you are tripping circuit breakers or blowing fuses, it may be due to an overload.
The issue could also be caused by an issue with the switchboard. The best thing to do is to call a level 2 Electrician in Sydney to perform an inspection.
Appliances are Being Damaged
Have you noticed that your appliance and/or devices are breaking all at once? This can be caused by overloading a circuit. Having too many things plugged in at once can cause damage to their internal components.
If the circuit breakers or fuses do not do their job, you can experience a fire. Electrical fires can be deadly. This is the number one reason you should never overload a circuit.
Damage to Wiring
Damaged wiring is something you probably will never see since it is in your home’s walls. However, there are a few symptoms to look out for.
- Tripping Circuit Breakers
- Dimming Lights
- Flickering Lights
- Outlets are Warm
- Warm Spots on the Wall
- Buzzing Sounds
- Crackling Sounds
- Burns on Switches or Powerpoints
- Damaged Appliances
- Frayed Wires
Prevent Electrical Overloading, Call Us Today
Electrical overloading is something that can be prevented. Overloading your circuits is not only a danger to your home and family, but it is also a safety issue for your community.
Dave Fenech Electrical Services Pty Ltd are your local level 2 electrician in Sydney, and we can handle all your electrical faults and repairs. If you are experiencing any issues related to electrical overloading, call us today.